Private sector employment increased by 742,000 jobs from March to April according to the April ADP National Employment Report. Broadly distributed to the public each month, free of charge, the ADP National Employment Report is produced by the ADP Research Institute in collaboration with Moody’s Analytics. The report, which is derived from ADP’s actual payroll data, measures the change in total nonfarm private employment each month on a seasonally adjusted basis.
“The labor market continues an upward trend of acceleration and growth, posting the strongest reading since September 2020,” said Nela Richardson, chief economist, ADP. “Service providers have the most to gain as the economy reopens, recovers and resumes normal activities and are leading job growth in April. While payrolls are still more than 8 million jobs short of pre-COVID-19 levels, job gains have totaled 1.3 million in the last two months after adding only about 1 million jobs over the course of the previous five months.”
The matched sample used to develop the ADP National Employment Report was derived from ADP payroll data, which represents 460,000 U.S. clients employing nearly 26 million workers in the U.S. The March total of jobs added was revised from 517,000 to 565,000.
To obtain additional information about the ADP National Employment Report, including additional charts, supporting data and the schedule of future release dates, or to subscribe to the monthly email alerts and RSS feeds, click here.
Total U.S. Nonfarm Private Employment: 742,000
By Company Size
– Small businesses: 235,000
- 1-19 employees 122,000
- 20-49 employees 113,000
– Medium businesses: 230,000
- 50-499 employees 230,000
– Large businesses: 277,000
- 500-999 employees 84,000
- 1,000+ employees 193,000
– Goods-producing: 106,000
- Natural resources/mining 10,000
- Construction 41,000
- Manufacturing 55,000
– Service-providing: 636,000
- Trade/transportation/utilities 155,000
- Information -3,000
- Financial activities 11,000
- Professional/business services 104,000
– Professional/technical services 27,000
– Management of companies/enterprises 5,000
– Administrative/support services 72,000
- Education/health services 92,000
– Health care/social assistance 76,000
– Education 16,000
- Leisure/hospitality 237,000
- Other services 40,000
* Sum of components may not equal total, due to rounding.
– Franchise Employment**
- Franchise jobs 49,600
**Complete details on franchise employment can be found here.