Private sector employment increased by 195,000 jobs from July to August according to the August ADP National Employment Report®. Broadly distributed to the public each month, free of charge, the ADP National Employment Report is produced by the ADP Research Institute® in collaboration with Moody’s Analytics. The report, which is derived from ADP’s actual payroll data, measures the change in total nonfarm private employment each month on a seasonally-adjusted basis.
“In August we saw a rebound in private-sector employment,” said Ahu Yildirmaz, vice president and co-head of the ADP Research Institute. “This is the first time in the last 12 months that we have seen balanced job growth across small, medium and large-sized companies.”
Mark Zandi, the chief economist of Moody’s Analytics, said, “Businesses are holding firm on their payrolls despite the slowing economy. Hiring has moderated, but layoffs remain low. As long as this continues recession will remain at bay.”
The matched sample used to develop the ADP National Employment Report was derived from ADP payroll data, which represents 411,000 U.S. clients employing nearly 24 million workers in the U.S. The July total of jobs added was revised down from 156,000 to 142,000.
Total U.S. Nonfarm Private Employment: 195,000
By Company Size
– Small businesses: 66,000
- 1-19 employees 26,000
- 20-49 employees 40,000
– Medium businesses: 77,000
- 50-499 employees 77,000
– Large businesses: 52,000
- 500-999 employees 5,000
- 1,000+ employees 47,000
– Goods-producing: 11,000
- Natural resources/mining -2,000
- Construction 6,000
- Manufacturing 8,000
– Service-providing: 184,000
- Trade/transportation/utilities 39,000
- Information -6,000
- Financial activities 5,000
- Professional/business services 35,000
– Professional/technical services 20,000
– Management of companies/enterprises 3,000
– Administrative/support services 12,000
- Education/health services 58,000
– Health care/social assistance 45,000
– Education 13,000
- Leisure/hospitality 42,000
- Other services 11,000
* Sum of components may not equal total, due to rounding.
– Franchise Employment**
- Franchise jobs 17,200
**Complete details on franchise employment can be found here.
The September 2019 ADP National Employment Report will be released at 8:15 a.m. ET on October 2, 2019.