Baby boomers looking for the very best place to spend their retirement should head for the Southwest and Southeast regions of the U.S.
Seven of the 10 “best of the best” places on Topretirements’ 2019 list are in those sunny areas of the country. The experts at the popular retirement website Topretirements.com combed through its user logs to identify the 20 favorite towns and cities in 4 U.S. regions. Then they winnowed those 80 to select the 10 “Best of the Best”; looking at cultural and recreational opportunities, climate, expense, taxes, the quality of the downtowns, and beauty.
Here is the Topretirements 10 Best list for 2019:
1. Asheville, NC – Asheville is a bustling city in the Blue Ridge mountains of western North Carolina. The downtown is filled with cafes, restaurants, and art deco buildings.
2. Sarasota, FL– This cultural center on Florida’s Gulf Coast has a great downtown with many interesting neighborhoods.
3. Tucson, AZ – The area is blessed with sunshine almost 300 days per year, and boasts 233 performing arts dates per year.
4. Green Valley, AZ – Near the hiking and birding areas of the Santa Rita Mountains in extreme southern Arizona.
5. Charleston, SC – “The Holy City” is undoubtedly one of the most beautiful cities in the U.S.
6. St. George, UT – Saint George has spectacular red rock bluffs, a mild winter climate, and amazing recreation.
7. St. Petersburg, FL – Saint Petersburg has been a classic retirement and tourist destination since the 1920’s.
8. Bellingham, WA – Named one of the top retirement towns, this city on Puget Sound boasts unbelievable natural scenery.
9. Portland, ME – Maine’s largest city is one of America’s most livable small cities is also a foodie center.
10. Pittsburgh PA – Pittsburgh is a livable and affordable city with colleges and cultural opportunities.